Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Back in the US of A!

Ahoy,
So it all started with a simple phone call. Could I fill in for another guy in my Navy Reserve unit for an upcoming annual trainning (AT) opportunity? The phrase, "Never Again Volunteer Yourself" (NAVY) came to mind, but instead of heading the wisdom of the generations, I replied, "Pencil me in & let me check if I can get daycare for the boys. Where would I be going and what are the dates?"
That may have been a mistake.
I scrounged up daycare.
The orders process was rediculous. I ended up submitting three different times (third time was the charm) and had e-tickets in hand only to learn that I’d arrive on the Sat of Presidents’ Weekend and the Army is taking a 4-day.
Did I mention this was a Joint Service assignment?
They say they don’t need me until the following week as if I have the power to cancel & reissue my orders and travel arrangements in 12 hrs...
Did I mention I was going to Korea?
So I call my Reserve Center first thing the next business day and explain the situation. We both agree that its infinately easier to just go on the original date as planned.
Did you know there are direct flights from Atlanta to Seoul?
They take about 15 hours. Read something. Nap at will. Eat three meals. Watch four movies. You’ll still have time to spare before arrival. Thankfully, this was not a domestic flight where airlines pinch every penny. International travel aircraft are nicely equipped. Even in the cattle section each seat has its own entertainment system. Imagine somewhere in the belly of the plane is a computer with 100s of mp3s, a dozen simple computer games (trivia, chess, etc.), ~20 movies plus a smattering of TV shows.
So we get to Seoul, go through customs & the folks at the US DoD welcome center say catch the next bus to Yongsan. We do. The bus takes us to the Dragon Hill Inn on post. We go into the lobby and ask where we check in. He says they’re full.
We say, "No, were do we report aboard?"
He says , "Oh, they’re closed for the long weekend, but we have a block of rooms at the Marriott."
Okay, this is gettimg long, so let me sum up:
Lots of hiccups, some are still ongoing (pay).
It was a learning experience that I’m pretty sure (75%) was worthwhile for all involved.
I enjoyed Seoul for the short time I was there.
Its good to be home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home